A Message from the National Chairs
"When we dropped our son at Duke for the start of his Freshman year in August of 2011, our first thought was, “Can we stay as well?” The Duke campus radiates an energy and has that effect on people. Fortunately for our son, we did leave him on that hot August day. But thanks to our work with the Duke Parents Committee, we have become deeply involved with the university and have built our own special bonds with this extraordinary place. We feel honored to work alongside talented faculty and enthusiastic parents in supporting the important work of the Parents Committee and in the process have built lasting friendships. As Chairs, we look forward to meeting you and encourage you to get involved. We are confident that you too will feel this same connection and be glad that you did."
David and Marion Mussafer P'15, P'19
The Duke Parents Committee is made up of non-alumni parents who serve a one-year renewable term and are asked to:
- Make a leadership gift that is commensurate with their philanthropic capacity and passion for Duke, with the minimum gift being at the Washington Duke Society Level.
- Educate fellow Duke parents about the importance of supporting the Duke Annual Fund
- Help build relationships between Duke parents and the university
- Report the results of contacts to Class Co-Chairs and the Duke Parents Program director
- Follow up with prospects as suggested by Class Co-Chairs and the Duke Parents Program director
- Attend regional events for Duke parents
- Attend committee events during Parents' and Family Weekend:
- New member training on Friday afternoon
- Parents reception on Friday evening
- Duke Parents Committee annual business meeting on Saturday morning
The Duke Parents Committee has 500+ members whose enthusiasm and commitment fuel the success of the Duke Parents Program. Members enjoy developing a connection with the university and with each other, and many parent volunteers choose to stay active on the committee even after their children graduate.
Want to get involved?
Contact us at (919) 684-4419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.